Safe Cleaning Solutions Amidst a Global Pandemic
Due to increased public concern for COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and other easily transferrable illnesses, as well as being in the height of flu season, cleaning supplies have been flying off the shelves left and right. While it’s incredibly important to keep your environment clean, mixing certain cleaning solutions can be very dangerous. Here is a list of cleaning products you should never combine;
Vinegar + Bleach
- Creates toxic chorine and chloramine vapors.
- Risks include chemical burns and irritation to the eyes & lungs.
Isopropyl Alcohol + Bleach
- It’s literally chloroform.
- Risks include damage to the nervous system, eyes, skin, lungs, kidneys, and liver. High levels may result in death.
Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar
- Creates parecetic acid.
- High concentrations may irritate skin, eyes, nose, throat and lungs. Has the potential to become a corrosive substance.
Ammonia + Bleach
- Creates toxic chloramine vapors.
- Risks include respiratory damage and eyes, nose, and throat burns. Has the potential to form hydrazine (an explosive chemical compound)
Do not to mix different drain cleaners
- As some are alkaline and others are acidic. The combination of the two creates a lot of heat which can result in damage to PVC pipes or extremely high pressures that can burst pipes.
Baking Soda + Vinegar
- No real risks in combining the two, other than the potential mess. But Baking soda and Vinegar essentially neutralize each other. Resulting in an ineffective cleaning formula.
If you are unable to find adequate cleaning supplies at your local grocery stores, we urge you to try some holistic, home made cleaning solutions. While it may not be the most convenient, they are great temporary alternatives! You might even have some of the necessary ingredients in your pantries!
We are working on an alcohol based hand sanitizer and natural based cleaning solution available for you by next week! In the mean time here is a great recipe for a scented all-purpose cleaner, courtesy of Good Housekeeping.
What you'll need:
Combine the above ingredients together, pour into a spray bottle, shake, and then let infuse for a week before using. Once done, you can use the natural solution to remove hard water stains, clean trash cans, wipe away wall smudges, and much more. Besides a fresh scent, the lemon rind may help boost cleaning power. Caution: Do not use acidic cleaners on granite, as they will etch the stone.